Saturday, 15 January 2011

Trish Keenan 1968-2011


I'm extremely saddened to hear the news of the death of Broadcast singer Trish Keenan, who passed away yesterday following complications with pneumonia.
I met Trish about 20 years ago when I moved into my first flatshare in Sparkbrook, Birmingham. She was a regular guest at the house and I have fond memories of those nights of smoky rooms playing Canasta, drinking wine and passing round the acoustic guitar. We were never close, if fact I always suspected that she saw me as a bit of a doofus. I was a smalltown boy while she was no-nonsense, city-smart and tough, which of course filled me with nothing but respect for her. I haven't seen her in a very long time but I've always taken an interest in the fortunes of Broadcast and was always glad to learn of the band's successes. Here's one of their early tracks:
As you can hear she had a marvellous voice. Before Broadcast, Trish was one half of an female duo who would appear regularly at acoustic nights. They built up quite a reputation and their cover of Joni Mitchell's, 'A Case of You' was always the highlight of the evening. I'm posting Joni's version here as my own tribute to Trish, as it's the song never fails to remind me of the times I spent in her company.

No comments: